• Practice Tests

• Forums

• Classifieds

• Cisco® in the News

• Tech News

• Chat about Cisco®

• Comments

Practice Tests

These tests belong to Networkdesigner.net and not sponsored by, endorsed by or affiliated with Cisco® Systems, Inc.

Exam Info

This exam info was writen by Networkdesigner.net and not sponsored by, endorsed by or affiliated with Cisco® Systems, Inc.

Forums

These Forums belong to Networkdesigner.net and not sponsored by, endorsed by or affiliated with Cisco® Systems, Inc.

Classifieds

Our Recomended Books

These Books are recomended by Networkdesigner.net and not recomended by, sponsored by, endorsed by or affiliated with Cisco® Systems, Inc.

Other Stuff

Comments

NetworkDesigner.net
NetworkDesigner.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 CCNA
 Layer 2 Questions

Author  Topic   
alanux

5 Posts
Posted - Jun 24 2001 :  11:58:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've been studying with a group of friends, but none of us could come up with a definitive answer for the following questions:

benefit of a bridge segmenting?
a. decreases # collision domains
b. increases # collision domains
c. decreases # broadcast domains
d. increases # broadcast domains

my answer is a. my friend says b.

which one is fastest?
a. router
b. switch
c. bridge
d. hub

my answer is b switch. my friend says d hub.
who's right?

Aryaan

India
2 Posts
Posted - Jun 25 2001 :  03:02:09 AM  Show Profile    Reply with Quote
Hi...
the answer fr the second one..as Switch is correct..!

Before we get to the comparisons, though, you might be wondering what the difference is between a hub and a switch, and what makes one better than the other. Simply put, a hub is much like a cable splitter. It takes in signals from each port and feeds them to all the other ports. This means that the signal from each node (computer, printer, etc) connected to the hub goes to every other node connected to the hub. That ensures that the node that the message is intended for will get it. Unfortunately, it means that all the nodes the message isn't intended for get it too. This makes for a lot of unnecessary traffic across the hub, and on the network. That, in turn, means that the network gets more and more congested as more nodes are added. Since there is no way for the hub to manage the traffic it receives, packets run into each other fairly often (collisions). These collisions fragment the packets involved, so they have to be re-sent, increasing delivery times and thereby lowering the effective speed of the network.

While hubs merely pass packets along the wire, switches are intelligent enough to manage the packets they receive in a number of ways. Without going into OSI model specifics, let's say that switches are able to "look inside" each packet to a certain degree. Inside each packet is the MAC address of the sender and intended receiver of the packet. The MAC (Media Access Control) address is a unique identifying number borne by each node on the network.

By keeping track of these MAC addresses, the switch is able to tell on what port each network node resides. For example, a packet comes in on port 2 with destination address X and source address Y. The switch immediately knows that the address Y is on port 2 as the packet has come in to that port. In the meantime, a packet comes in to port 5 with the destination address Z and the source address X. The switch now knows that X resides on port 5, and thus has the destination port of the original packet from port 2 (MAC address Y). Theoretically, this chain of events only needs to happen once for each MAC address, because each switch has an address table built into it which holds the information for future reference.

I hope this shud sort your querry..!!

Go to Top of Page

farooq_riaz

5 Posts
Posted - Jun 26 2001 :  09:30:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well for the first Q your friend is correct. The answer to the second Q is option "b".
Regards
Farooq

Go to Top of Page

rihn

USA
1 Posts
Posted - Jun 26 2001 :  9:15:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your friend is right. Remember switches/Layer 2 devices do nothing about broadcasts, they "increase collision domain and decrease collisions"

Go to Top of Page

alanux

5 Posts
Posted - Jun 27 2001 :  10:39:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the difference between collision
domains and collisions? I don't quite
understand why collision domains would
increase while collisions would decrease.
I guess the key is "#". In most practice
questions, we know that a switch would
lower collisions.

quote:

Your friend is right. Remember switches/Layer 2 devices do nothing about broadcasts, they "increase collision domain and decrease collisions"

Go to Top of Page

6 Posts
Posted - Jun 27 2001 :  5:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please do not forget that we are mainly speaking of Ethernet segments, which are multi-access technologies. That means that since the transmission and reception are not instant, a station can transmit even if another station transmits already. What’s the result? The signals on the line “collide”, that is none of the sent signals was what was sent in the beginning. This is a COLLISION.

A collision domain is a segment or structure of segments that have some stations on it. If in this segment collisions can occur, that is defined as a COLLISION DOMAIN.
Go to Top of Page

yano

2 Posts
Posted - Jun 28 2001 :  02:50:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Bridge like switch operate on Layer 2 of OSI reference model. Both of these devices reduce network collisions by dividing your network into multiple segments. These segments are also known as collision domains. Therefore, your collision domains will increase and collisions are minimized.

Get the Lexysoft FREE exam software for CCNA and your questions are there ( http://www.lexysoft.com ). You can find the explanation on each question useful to clarify certain things.

Good Luck.

Go to Top of Page

krost
Starting Member

Russia
0 Posts
Posted - Jun 29 2001 :  04:36:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the first question the answer b is right.

For the second question...

It seems to me the fastest is hub, as it's a physical layer device and doesn't spend any time to analyze frame headers. Hub mainly works like repeater with many ports. So it propagate incoming bits/bytes to other ports, while switches/bridges have to analyze layer 2 header and look up their MAC addess table in order to take a switching decision.

So I think the correct answer is d.

Hope that will help.

Go to Top of Page

KSheikh

USA
3 Posts
Posted - Jun 29 2001 :  09:01:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi!
The correct answer is Switch.
Ksheikh
CNE.MCSE.CCNA

i've been studying with a group of friends, but none of us could come up with a definitive answer for the following questions:

which one is fastest?
a. router
b. switch
c. bridge
d. hub

who's right?

[/quote]

Khizer M. SheikhGo to Top of Page

KSheikh

USA
3 Posts
Posted - Jun 29 2001 :  09:02:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Layer 2 Question
Ksheikh
cne,mcse,ccna

KSheikh

USA
3 Posts
Posted - Jun 29 2001 :  09:04:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ksheikh
cne,mcse,ccna

which one is fastest?
a. router
b. switch
c. bridge
d. hub

who's right?

Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000
Copyright © 1999-2001 Network Designer All rights reserved

Disclaimer

The material on this web site is not sponsored by, endorsed by or affiliated with Cisco Systems, Inc. CISCO® is a registered trademark of Cisco Systems, Inc.; CCNA™, CCDA™, CCNP™, CCDP™, CCIE™, CISCO CERTIFIED NETWORK ASSOCIATE™, CISCO CERTIFIED DESIGN ASSOCIATE™, CISCO CERTIFIED NETWORK PROFESSIONAL™, CISCO CERTIFIED DESIGN PROFESSIONAL™, CISCO CERTIFIED INTERNETWORK EXPERT™ are distinctive trademarks used by Cisco to describe its certifications and examinations in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners.

Questions, comments? Email the . Copyright © 1999, 2000, 2001  Network Designer.  All rights reserved. study guides, practice tests, and/or material is copyright material and may not be redistributed in any way unless otherwise stated and is not sponsored by, endorsed by or affiliated with Cisco© Systems, Inc or any other company.   All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners.

Join IT Banner Exchange

IT banner exchange

IT Showcase